Apprentice Mate Steersman - Course #120
This 2 day course is USCG Approved to satisfy the examination requirements in accordance with 46 CFR 10.205(i) and 10.209(c)(iii) for the original issuance or renewal of an Apprentice Mate Steersman of Towing Vessel License, or Master or Mate (Pilot) of Towing Vessel License (Near Coastal or Inland), provided that you meet one of the following:
1) Hold a Masters License of 25, 50 or 100 gross tons and have completed our 200 ton upgrade course within 1 year of the APMS Course, or
2) Hold a Masters (not mate) License of 150 or 200 gross tons, or
3) Have completed the 100 ton course, the 200 ton course and the APMS course within 1 year of each other.
Each student can receive a personal copy of the TOAR (Towing Officers Assessment Record) to have completed on their vessel towards their upgrade to Master or Mate (Pilot). No further examination will be
This course will cover the subjects specific to the Towing Vessel Industry including the following:
• Uninspected Towing Vessel Regulations
• Towing Terminology, Gear and Fittings
• Towing Vessel Operations
• Capabilities and Limitations of Towing
• Barge Regulations
This course will not satisfy the requirements for western rivers endorsements.