Shiphandling & Steering – Basic: OICNW - Course #211
This 5 day course covers turning circles and stopping distance in deep and shallow water, man overboard procedures, anchoring and many other facets of shiphandling and steering control for the Officers in Charge of a Navigation Watch. This course utilizes the MPT SMART TM Center’s Full Mission – DNV Class A Ship Simulators.
This course will satisfy the Basic Shiphandling & Steering Control Systems course satisfying the competency requirements of Table A-II/1 of the STCW, as amended 2010, and:
- The Basic Shiphandling & Steering Control Systems training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(xi) for an STCW endorsement as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW) for vessels of 500 GT (ITC) or more (Operational Level); AND
- The Basic Shiphandling & Steering Control Systems standards of competence required by 46 CFR 11.309(a)(3) and 11.319(a)(3); STCW Code Section A-II/1 and Table A-II/1, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from NVICs 12-14(Ch-4) and 02-18(Ch-1) Tasks 1.8.A, 1.8.B, 9.1.A, 9.2.A, 9.2.B, 9.3.A, 9.4 [NVIC 12-14(Ch-4) only], 9.4.A [NVIC 02-18(Ch-1) only], and 9.5.A; AND
- The Basic Shiphandling & Steering Control Systems standards of competence required by 46 CFR 11.317(a)(2) and 11.321(a)(2); STCW Code Section A-II/3 and Table A-II/3, as amended 2010, meeting the National Assessment Guidelines from NVIC 13-14(Ch-3) Tasks 1.10.A, 1.10.B, 1.10.C, 1.10.D, 5.1.A, 5.1.B, 5.1.C, and 5.3.A.
Applicants who have successfully completed our course need not present completed Task Control Sheets for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
- Turning CircleStopping Distance
- Effects of Wind and Current
- Man Overboard Maneuvers
- Shallow Water Effects
- Steering Control Systems
- And much more